Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

31 Days of PKD Challenges: #6 and BONUS: My Story

31 Days of PKD challenges #6: Educate someone.

Quick version of my story for PKD challenge.

Check out: http://www.pkdcure.org/hope

Polycystic kidney disease is a hereditary disease where cysts grow on your kidneys and cause damage and eventually kidney failure.

From the time I was tested at 21 I already had too many cysts for them to count in varying sizes on BOTH kidneys. I have spent a lifetime KNOWING eventually the shit would hit the fan and things would be not so good. Kidney failure, dialysis, eventual death (early I mean). I've made peace with not getting OLD. I DO try to do the things I should and am told to do to prolong the health of my kidneys and unfortunately I am not so good at some of them. There are MANY factors involved in it and what's left behind is the knowledge and understanding that I do the BEST I can with who I am, where I am and what I've got. I think that's all a person can do. The point is I FIGHT. In my own way, using my own strengths. It is a challenge but it is NOT over till the fat lady sings...and I AIN'T singing!! LOL

I want to get through it with grace and dignity. That is all.

This is a disease that runs in families. My grandmother had it and also her brothers. My father had it and two of his brothers. I hope that my children will be lucky enough to never have to deal with it but the older two are aware and the younger one has to live through it with me so he will see things I'd rather he didn't but we will have to talk about it if and when he wants to know. I would rather shelter him from the knowledge that it could happen to him so that he can build a life without a shadow hanging over his head. The older two are healthy and active and both work hard to stay that way so I HOPE and cross my fingers it will be enough.

IF I had known more or understood more when I was younger perhaps I would have felt different, been different, done different but it is water under the bridge now. I can't go backwards. I can't change yesterday. All I can do is work hard today and hope for tomorrow.

This is the hand I was dealt. So I do my best to handle it.

For more detailed information: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment